Saturday, March 24, 2007

1st Annual Spring Break Potluck (March 24, 2007)

[entry by js]

Thank you all for making our 1st Annual Spring Break Potluck a raving success.

Thank you to Betson, for organizing the event. Thank you to all who brought such yummy, yummy food to share. And thank you to all who partook of the yummy, yummy food.

To summarize, here was the spread, with my comments.

Betson: Lechon Kawali RECIPE
This was delicious, pork transformed.

Betson complained about the skin not being crispy enough, but really, it was all good for me, because I chose not to eat the skin anyways. The meat was very tender and has that pork-buttery effect on the tongue.

You ALL are making me fat: I'm going to sue you!

Maryann: Lettuce Wrap RECIPE
Again, this was delicious! Ground pork, with shrimp and mushrooms and other stuff -- I'm sure Maryann would share the recipe -- wrapped in lettuce, with hoisin sauce. Excellent.

I think my mother will not like me, but I must say this version I like more than hers. This tastes lighter on the tongue, as opposed to my mother's "richer/browner" pork filling. My mother sautes the filling with hoisin sauce, leading to the richer/browner taste.

Mega: Shrimp Fried Rice and Almond Jelly RECIPE
Again, delicious. Big, plump shrimp with egg and rice! What's not to like? And I liked this very much. It's not greasy at all, which is a big, big plus.

Sorry, Mega -- didn't try the almond jelly. =( I'm not a big fan of almond jelly, so it was nothing against this almond jelly. I know, I know, it's an oversight on my part, and I'll do better next time. I'll still sue all of you for trying to make me fat! LOL

Lorelei: Ginataan, a type of Filipino specialty dessert RECIPE
So yummy, and the primary defendant in my lawsuit, because it's GINATAAN.

Coconut milk, all that starch (tapioca, rice balls, purple yam), all that sugar. How could I have eaten 3 bowl-fuls of something that I have to work off so hard? So I'm going to sue Lorelei! LOL

Marc and Mao: Turon
(Plantains/Bananas wrapped in Spring Roll Wrappers, then Pan-fried or Deep-fried)

I'm impressed, because this turon is well-done. I've never had a chance to try Marc and Mao's cooking, but if this is an indication, then it's something that I will look forward to in future potlucks. This turon is not greasy at all, which is excellent. And I don't particularly like jackfruit in turon previously, but this one might have made me a convert.

TS: Caesar Salad RECIPE
Excellent. I like my Caesar salad dressings garlicky and strong. The homemade croutons are so yummy! I can eat these croutons all day. And I do mean ALL DAY. I have to stop myself.

Again, the only thing I can complain about is the over-dressing of the greens -- are you trying to make me fat? I'll sue you!

Christiana: Muffin Trio (blueberry, banana, carrot) RECIPE
This came warm from the oven -- bakery fresh! I haven't tried it personally yet (will do in the morning, for breakfast tomorrow), but judging from how the kids swarmed about the muffins and how they scarfed them down, it must be good!

Danica cried when my mother took away her muffin! And she was still trying to pack in as much of the muffin before she had to go upstairs to bed. I trust Danica's taste: she is very sophisticated. =)

My own Lemon-Garlic Herb Roast Chicken RECIPE
Well, could have been more garlicky and probably needed to be seasoned more aggressively, but it was home-cooking, and home cooks tend to be more tentative about seasoning than restaurant cooks. =)

When the birds came out, it kind of looked good, all plump and juicy like that, if I may say so myself. LOL I liked these birds and I guess I'll just leave it at that. Special thanks to Maryann for carving the chicken.

Again, thank you all very much and hope to see you in the next Potluck!

I think, as per Betson, we would have to be posting the recipes? Yes, please do share your recipes!

RECIPES
Lechon Kawali ("Lechon ni Betchon") by bsc
Lettuce Wrap by msc
Shrimp Fried Rice by mega
Ginataan by lsc
Almost-Traditional Caesar Salad by ts
Blueberry Muffins by cw
Roast Chicken by js

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs