Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Pork Chops with Grainy Dijon and Capers

Simple French Meal, Dish #2



[js]
When I think of pork chops, I think of it as "fast" food, something to cook when one is out of ideas. Provided, of course, that there are pork chops in the fridge.

In our house, pork chops are usually just pan-fried in a little olive oil and/or butter and they are good to go. My mother would sometimes rub thyme on the pork chops and pan-fry them in butter.

Given their convenience as fast food, I am surprised we don't have pork chops that often. We probably just have them once a month and there have been stretches of up to three months when we won't see them chops. I think we are still haunted by ghosts of pork chops past and these chops now just don't measure up.

I can still remember the pork chops I had in the Philippines growing up. Those pork chops were so good, so flavourful. Pork chops here seem to be lacking something: they are more of gray meat than anything else. When we had pork chops before, a little salt, a little calamansi, are all the chops need -- and, with a heap of white rice, we would have a heck of a great meal.

Oh, those halcyon days of youth and better-tasting pork! Where have you gone?

When we do have pork chops now, we have to find ways of boosting up their flavour, because they don't have much flavour on their own.


[ts]
Well, I think this dish certainly falls under the "boosted-up flavor" category of food. Once again, so simple yet so good.

I patted the pork chops dry and seasoned each side. Onto the fry pan they went.



Next, I added come grainy dijon and capers to the pan and heated that a bit. They went onto the resting pork chops. That and the juices from the resting pork chops formed the sauce.



[ts]
Two steps! I mean, really. I'm too good. ;D

This was sooo good.

[js]
You know, I wish we could post more "difficult" and "more complicated" recipes. Perhaps that would make for more interesting reading. =)

Well, we save those more involved recipes for the weekends, when we have more time and more energy to do them.

But then, I wouldn't trade the easy deliciousness of these dishes. I mean, everyday food should not be complicated at all. Something like pork chops with jus flavoured with mustard and capers takes 10 minutes to make, definitely quicker than ordering takeout or pizza.

These chops got the chops! (Especially the portions of fat-meat near or on the bone; the blandness of the pork itself notwithstanding.)

We'll keep searcing for more flavourful pork around these parts, but this dish, again, is a keeper. It's good as is.

As part of a meal with the prawns, I really don't have cause to complain much.



Simple French Meal

Dish #1: Provençal Onion Tart
Dish #2: Pork Chops with Grainy Dijon and Capers
Dish #3: Prawns with Tarragon and Orange


[eatingclub] vancouver French food:
Trout Grenobloise
Provençal Onion Tart
Pork Chops with Grainy Dijon and Capers
Prawns with Tarragon and Orange
Herbes de Provence Sablé
Roast Pork Belly with Puy Lentils
Duck and Orange Crêpes with Orange-White Wine Sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs